Thursday, July 24, 2008

Country Boy



This is the picture that started a wonderful love story . . .

I found Dave on a singles website by sheer coincidence (yeah, right--it was completely orchestrated by a loving Father in Heaven). I had been single for nine long years and had dated many men, but they just didn't measure up. After a very difficult first marriage, I was not interested in being married just for the sake of not being alone. I had come up with quite the list of character traits that I wanted in a husband. Some of the items were "MUST HAVEs" and some were "WOULD BE NICE TO HAVE". Not only does Dave satisfy EVERY item on the list, but he comes with additional character traits that were beyond my wildest imagination. He is my living proof that good things DO come to those who wait!

Allow me to turn the clock back to 1990. I first met Dave at a singles activity at church. I thought he was a super sweet guy, but I was headed out the door to serve a full-time mission in California for 18 months. As he tells the story, he was pretty taken with me that night.

Fast forward to 1992. I'm back from my mission, but I'm involved with someone else. Dave remains a great friend and we see each other at various church activities from time to time. In 1993 I get engaged. Dave takes my engagement photo. Dave also attends my wedding. At that time I thought of him as a dear friend and was unaware of his feelings for me. He knew I was marrying the wrong guy, but remained silent and supportive in the sidelines. Over the next several years, I keep in touch with Dave and send him a Christmas card when the holidays roll around each year. (By the way, he still has those cards!) Right before I got divorced, he got married. He and his wife invited the kids and I over to their home for dinner. We talked about old times and had a wonderful evening. That was the last time I talked to or saw David Rivers until October 2007, when I saw that familiar picture online of my good friend, Dave.

No comments: